+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Harley?

Which Harley?

Great timing for a new forum! I'm in the process of deciding which Harley-Davidson motorcycle to buy but would really like some guidance. I love riding in groups but also like riding on my own to my destinations. I've heard some models have smaller gas tanks and don't want to go through the mistake of buying something that wouldn't fit the gulf rides. Oh and one more thing.... Anything but a V-Rod! Thanks!

Hi welcome to the forum.
    With my limited experience in Harley's I know that the smallest tank of 12 liters comes on the Sportster 883. So I wouldn't think that's the best for long rides.
    The 1200 comes with a decent 17 liter tank, as do most Harley bikes. Along with a decent 35 to 42 miles per gallon.
    But a friend told me from experience that its not the fuel you have to be worried about in long rides. Its the wind, engine vibration, and comfort level.
    That's were touring bikes come into the picture. If you are serious about long rides and touring, touring bikes is the way to go.

Welcome to the forum twoorfour.
    If it must be a Harley check out the Ultra Glide. If not, its worth looking at the Honda Goldwing, Moto Guzzi Norge, and BMW R1200 RT.

Hi twoorfour, if it must be a Harley then I recommend the Dyna range. They are rather compact and nimble. And for accessories the possibilities are endless. Other than that I also recommend the Vulcan 900 cc from Kawasaki. They are extremely comfortable and have been ranked as having the most comfortable seats for long rides. Good luck and ride safe.

Thx Raedsam, that's helpful. I heard the victories were good also and considered a couple of custom makes but they were out of my budget. I'll take a look at the Vulcan though. Does the 900cc compete with the Harley higher displacement? Also, any idea how much they are?

Quote Originally Posted by latebraker View Post
    Hi welcome to the forum.
    With my limited experience in Harley's I know that the smallest tank of 12 liters comes on the Sportster 883. So I wouldn't think that's the best for long rides.
    The 1200 comes with a decent 17 liter tank, as do most Harley bikes. Along with a decent 35 to 42 miles per gallon.
    But a friend told me from experience that its not the fuel you have to be worried about in long rides. Its the wind, engine vibration, and comfort level.
    That's were touring bikes come into the picture. If you are serious about long rides and touring, touring bikes is the way to go.
    Good advice thanks Quarantine. I dont think the majority of my riding will be distances, although I plan on the occasional trip. I am planning on considering all alternatives though.

+ Reply to Thread